Mission Impossible III - update
Mission: Impossible III (abbreviated M:I:III) is the upcoming third film based on the television series Mission: Impossible.
Tom Cruise reprises his role of IMF agent Ethan Hunt, and stars along with Ving Rhames, Jonathan Rhys-Meyers, Michelle Monaghan, Philip Seymour Hoffman, Laurence Fishburne, Keri Russell  and Simon Pegg. The film is currently in production under the direction of Alias creator J.J. Abrams.
According to the film's distributor Paramount Pictures, M:I:III is scheduled to be released May 5, 2006, though it was originally set to be released in May of 2004. Filming began in Rome, Italy in July of 2005. The film has been kept under extremely tight wraps, and very little is known of its plots or new featured characters. From the latest trailers it can be inferred that Hoffman plays a villain in this installment.
Location filming took place in Berlin, Italy, Shanghai, Virginia, and California.
Buy this (Now available!) and other great posters from MovieGoods.com®
* Director David Fincher (Fight Club, Se7en) was slated to direct M:i:III but dropped out in favor of another film.  Fincher was then replaced by Narc director Joe Carnahan, but he quit in a dispute over the film's tone.
* Dean Greogaris and Frank Darabont worked on early drafts of the screenplay.
* Production of the movie was halted in late 2004 so that Cruise could work on War of the Worlds.
* Originally set for release in 2005, the delay in shooting caused early cast members Carrie-Anne Moss and Kenneth Branagh to pull out. Scarlett Johansson and Lindsay Lohan were also suggested as Cruise's co-star. Ricky Gervais - who had acted in an episode of J.J. Abrams' television series Alias - was cast in a supporting role, but pulled out when the part expanded. British actor and screenwriter Simon Pegg has now been cast to play Ethan Hunt's sidekick.
* There are rumors that Scarlett Johansson was actually cast, but left the movie in pre-production when Cruise tried to recruit her into Scientology. It is thought that, as they dined together at one of his homes, during the dinner he opened a false door and revealed several high-ranking Scientology ministers. She "politely excused herself" and left the production.  The incident occurred right before Cruise recruited and began a relationship with current fiancée Katie Holmes.
* Cruise allegedly made a mock trailer of the stunts he wanted to perform in the movie for a group of his friends. An official teaser trailer has since appeared online on Yahoo! Movies.
* Cruise also asked for permission to film in the Reichstag building in Berlin but was refused.
Can't think of what to get someone? Get a gift certificate from MovieGoods.com®
* Reviews posted here do not necessarily reflect the views of The Wizard of 'OZ'
* Reviewers do not necessarily endorse MovieGoods.com®